Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fynn's Birth Story- Part 1

I had to make sure I wrote all this down before I started forgetting the details. So here goes.

The belly on the day she was born
As you may remember, we visited labor and delivery on Saturday morning... where I was monitored for 2 hours, was 4 cm dilated... and then sent home. I ten spent Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning in a state of misery and depression. I honestly felt like I was going to be in "pre-labor" for another 2 weeks before giving birth. Not a good feeling.

Side bump
Tuesday morning we had an OB appointment at 10 am. Since I was actually dressed I took a weekly belly picture... cause who knew when I would actually care enough again to get dressed this week. SO glad I did that. I went to Drew's office to pick him up and we went in for our appointment. We had an ultrasound first where we got to see Fynn (and yes, I totally had them triple check that she was indeed a girl). She was looking great, fluid was great and was moving all around. The tech commented on how her head was right ON my cervix and how "that must be uncomfortable". Understatement of the century.

Then we went in to our appointment with the doctor, who I regaled with the tale of my misery. I also pointed out to her my lovely polka-dotted legs (new pregnancy symptom, my legs were red-ish and covered with little white polka dots about the size of pencil erasers). The woman took pity on me and talked about scheduling an induction for next Monday if I didn't go before then because all the contractions were going to make me too tired to deliver if they continued for another week or two. I loved her. Hated that I was going to have to wait until Monday, but was glad there was an end in sight.

And then she checked me.

I was 6 cm dilated, completely effaced and Fynn's head was "right there". So the doctor said she was sending us in. Honestly, I didn't get my hopes up. I figured she would send me in, they would monitor me for another 2 hours and then they would just send me home again. But then she decided she would strip my membranes. I have no idea what she actually did in there, but it hurt like hell and made me bleed. A lot. I left the doctors office barely able to walk with directions to eat lunch, walk a bit and head to the hospital because I was having a baby that night.

Whoa, this was real. Drew and I went back to his work where he grabbed his stuff. He left my dad's truck there because there was no way I could drive home the way I was feeling at that point. We went home, packed last minute things, ate, walked the dog... and then headed in.

By the time we got to the hospital at 1:45, it had been about 2 hours... and nothing was really going on. My contractions still felt the same as before and I didn't feel any different. But my doctor had called ahead and we got to skip triage and head straight to labor in delivery where they had already admitted me. Good thing too, because that place was CRAZY that night (must have been the full moon) and apparently later on that afternoon there were no rooms available. 

Anywho. We were admitted... and I started pacing. Because by that point I actually was having more contractions and they were getting more intense. I was hooked up to the monitors for Fynn's heart rate and contractions. It was cool to watch the contraction on the machine to see when they were peaking and ebbing but that took my concentration away from dealing with the pain, so I didn't do it for long. The nurse then told me they had to start and IV... which I REALLY didn't want. I hate needles and just didn't want one, so I asked if we could skip it since I didn't want meds anyway. She checking with the doctor who said I had to have the IV because I am so fair skinned and apparently fair skinned people bleed more in labor (so not sure if this is true or just a lie she told me to give me the IV). So she put in the IV (which I did NOT like) and gave me a bag of fluids to make sure I didn't get dehydrated. 
1) Our greeting at the hospital 2) Watching the contractions on the monitor 3) Walking around with my IV 4) My face after getting the IV 5) Our room number* 6) Those contractions hurt 7)Laboring in the tub.

 This is where the time piece gets a little fuzzy for me because I was focusing so much on breathing through the contractions that I wasn't paying much attention to the clock except when the nurse would say the doctor would be back in x-amount of minutes... then I would watch the clock like a hawk until that time came. I know I paced back in forth through the room for a LONG time just breathing through the contractions as they came and went. I know a resident came in and asked stupid questions about who lives in my house and whether I do drugs. I know that a doctor checked me and said I was at 7 at this point. Another nurse came in and was suitably impressed that I was walking and talking while 7 cm dilated. 

Around 3 or 3:30 I was still at 7 when the nurse walked in and said "Your mom is here" I swear my head swiveled off my neck as I whipped to look at her and said "are you ****** kidding me?" (I may have been a bit more explicit then that) I was a little surprised to have my mom there since I specifically said, about 100 times that I didn't want anyone but Drew there. Clearly that message was heard. Mom came in for about 5 minutes, shushed Drew who was helping me through a contraction and then I kicked her out. I'm not going to go on about it, because I'm sure everyone knows how I feel about this event, but I was proud of myself for telling her to leave. I knew what I wanted and wasn't afraid to say so... which is sometimes rare for me. 

This is getting long, so I'm going to stop for now and continue onto part 2 later. 

*For those of you who don't know, 26 is Drew and my lucky number. We started dating on the 26th, got engaged on the 26th, got married on the 26th and now had our baby in labor room 26... pretty significant I think. 


  1. Congrats Amanda! How's the adjustment going for you?

  2. Congrats congrats!!! I'm about to read part two!

  3. It's good you're writing this down, because even though you don't think you will, a lot of the experience will be forgotten.

    I sat under the shower a lot during my labor.

  4. It's good you're writing this down, because even though you don't think you will, a lot of the experience will be forgotten.

    I sat under the shower a lot during my labor.

  5. Congrats on your new blessing! Thanks for sharing your story!

  6. Congrats on your blessing! How wonderful, love your birth story!

  7. Congratulations! Your birth story sounds very similar to mine, though the details are different. Still - the moment you were doubting you could do it (in the bath), the losing track of time, the supportive husband, and no painkillers - very similar. It sounds like it was as rewarding for you as it was for me. Enjoy your baby girl!

  8. Good for you for standing up for yourself and what you wanted! I hope your mom took being kicked out well.

  9. Writing down is good! I've realized after 6 birthing experiences that too much pain and not enough drugs is bad for my memory. thank God my husband was there to help me remember!

  10. Loving the story so far! Off topic: how did you make that picture collage?


The best part of blogging is hearing from my readers, so share your thoughts and ideas... or just say "hi"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...