Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fynn's Birth Story- Part 2

In case you missed it, it helps to read Part 1 of the birth story first. Just saying.

Once I kicked my mom out, things really stated to get on a roll. I started bouncing on the birthing ball (get it, on a roll???) and the contractions started getting closer together. Breathing through them became more and more difficult. The doctor checked me, said I was at an 8 and offered to break my water because it hadn't happened on its own yet. I agreed since I figured it might make things feel a little better. Got to say, weirdest feeling ever. She popped me with what looked like a knitting needle...and I gushed. I felt like I was peeing myself over and over again. I was so embarrassed! 

 It was at about this point that I asked Drew whether it was too late to reconsider. Drew asked if I was talking about reconsidering going into labor, but I meant the whole having a baby thing. He reassured me that it actually was too late to reconsider.

I was in a lot of pain at this point, so the nurse suggested I get in the tub. She put in some amazing hot water and turned the jets on so they pulsed right on my lower back, the part that was hurting the most. While in the tub is where I really lost it. The contractions were so close together that it felt like there was no break in between them. They had offered me an epidural or Fentanyl for pain. While I knew I didn't want an epidural... I started to reconsider while in the tub. I already had the IV and the resident who talked me through my pain options told me that it would just take the edge off the contractions. I was close to the point where they would no longer give me meds (the nurse told me once I hit 9 cm they wouldn't administer meds anymore). I was in the tub crying to Drew about how I didn't know if I could make it on my own anymore.

Drew was amazing. He kept reassuring me how amazing I was doing and how proud he was of me. He made me feel like I really was capable of doing this, but that he was totally supportive if I wanted to have some help. He helped me find the strength to keep going... I wouldn;t have been able to do it without him. 

Once I got out of the tub, things started moving fast. The contractions were coming one on top of each other and I was told we were almost ready... holy crap! I continued using the birthing ball and Drew was awesome about rubbing my back during every contraction. The doctor came in to check me again and said we could do a "practice push"... yeah, that failed. She said things weren't quite ready yet, so she would be back in 20 minutes. Not going to lie... I was upset. I had thought that we were ready to get the show on the road and then I was told that I would have to deal with 20 more minutes of contractions before we could try again.

Somehow I got through those 20 minutes... and then it really did get on the road. The doctor came back and I told her that I needed to push. I don't know how I knew, it was like my body just took over, but I knew it was time. Things were a blur after that. All I know is that people were in and out of the room. Something weird happened to the bed (Drew said that they broke it apart so like half of it was gone). They told me I could push when the contractions came so everytime I felt out I told them, scrunched up, and pushed. It felt like forever, but suddenly they were telling me they could see the head. They asked me if I wanted to touch her head. I think I said something along the lines of "ew gross, no way". Then her head was out and there was a lot of commotion because the cord was wrapped around her neck. They cut it, I kept pushing and suddenly she was here.
1) The moment I met Fynn 2)Holding my baby 3) Daddy and Fynn 4) Snuggles 5) First family photo
They put Fynn on my chest and it was just so surreal. She was finally here. All those kicks, jabs, hiccups and swirls were in my arm. I didn't really notice it at the time, but she was pretty blue. I was so overwhelmed by everything that I didn't really notice, but she pinked up quickly. Her 1 minute apgar was only a 6, but her 5 minute was a 9, so she got things together quickly. 

All I could do was sit and stare at her. In some part of my mind I knew the doctors and nurses were still down there and doing stuff. I started to really notice when they were stitching me up. They gave me lidocaine... but I could still totally feel it. 

So here's the part where I get to brag. I didn't realize it at the time, because I was too focused on the pain and doing what I needed to do, but I guess I was pretty good at this whole labor thing. All the doctors and nurses told me how amazing I was over and over again. Some of them were impressed that I did it all naturally. Others were impressed that I was only in active labor for less than 5 hours. And others were impressed that I only pushed for 12 minutes before she was out. Apparently most first-time mom's take at least an hour for that part. I'm proud of myself, for all of it and for making it through the most intense experience I've ever had. 

I don't know... I don't feel like I was really prepared for labor. It was a lot more intense and painful than I had let myself think about before that moment. On the other hand I feel like I was ready because I knew what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it. I do know, that without Drew, I probably would have fallen apart and just given in to the pain, but he was amazing. He knew when I needed him to rub my back, and when I needed him to shut up. I'm not sure how he did it, especially when I didn't even know what I wanted, but he was truly what got me through all of it, and now we have our little girl... which is a million posts in itself, and we'll get to that. For now she needs to eat, and as her sole food source, I guess that means I'm up. 


  1. 12 minutes! And I thought my 45 minutes was pretty impressive. You blew that out of the water! I am amazed that you did it no meds! Thanks for sharing your story!

  2. ooh girl! I wish I could've pushed for only 12 minutes! I'm sooo happy for you and I can't wait to see more pictures of your precious baby. Congrats mama. YOU DID IT!

  3. Congratulations!!!! She i so cute!! SO happy that she is finally here. Your story was fun to read, you wrote it very well ;)

  4. Sounds like it all went great! Props to Drew too! I'm sure you two are just the happiest parents in the world right now!

    I Wanted to let you know that I chose you for the Leibster Award! Head on over to my blog to check it out!

  5. Congrats Mama!!! Soo glad she made it here safely!!! Hope all is well!!

  6. Oh congratulations! My labor was not as great as yours! Getting induced may have been the cause of my awful labor. I had this whole natural birth planned out but fate had other plans for me. ;p


The best part of blogging is hearing from my readers, so share your thoughts and ideas... or just say "hi"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...