Tuesday, November 11, 2014

That time I almost passed out at the doctor's office

Yesterday I went in for my 24 week glucose tolerance test. I was dreading it as it was because I hate needles more than I can ever adequetly express. Need proof? My entire reason for going with an all-natural childbirth with Fynn (and planning on doing the same with Boo #2) is to avoid needles. No lie. I'd rather deal with feeling every second of expelling a human being from my body rather than a needle. That's how intense my hatred of needles is.

I digress. This post totally isn't about my fear of needles. Well, it is, but it isn't. (How's that for clarity?)

Anywho. I headed in around 4 yesterday, fresh from a scintillating staff meeting about math fact fluency and downs my 8 ounces of glucola- or as I refer to it, I drank the Kool-aid. I then went in, had a great appointment with the nurse practitioner who assured me that I'm absolutely perfect (duh) and then had 40 minutes to spare before they could do the blood draw. I used the time well by working on my grad school homework and was feeling pretty damn good about myself. I wasn't even that nervous about the blood draw.

The phlebotomist who usually does my blood work had already left for the day, but the woman who was still there was super nice and we chatted about our kids... and then it all hit the fan. She was having trouble finding a vein, which isn't unusual for me (and probably exacerbates my fear- I'm a hard stick). She finally got one, but couldn't get any blood out. And then things got a little fuzzy. I felt the stereotypical tunnel vision, my ears felt like they had cotton balls in them, the room got really hot, and I felt like the whole office was spinning around me. I knew the phlebotomist and one of the lab techs were talking to me, but I couldn't figure out what on earth they were saying. One of them put my feet up on a chair while the other put a cold compress on my neck and gave me some water. After a few minutes (I think) things started to come into focus. I still felt woozy and really, really shaky. 

I agreed to try the draw again because I really didn't want to have to do the whole thing again. Unfortunately, they still had a hard time getting the blood. Finally they got enough for my glucose test, but not enough for the CBC they wanted to do to check for anemia... so now I have to go back later this week to get more blood taken.

I'm not sure if it was the Kool-aid or the blood draw that caused the near-fainting, but as I'm writing this (three hours later) I still feel like crap. When I did the glucose test when I was pregnant with Fynn I felt awful afterwards, but nothing like this... I'm really, REALLY hoping that this isn't a sign I'm about to fail the test. Gestational diabetes does not sound like fun, and not something else I want to have to worry about for the next 16 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. YUCK. I remember having to take that. First pregnancy I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes but my 2nd time around I wasn't thank god, because I hated poking myself and being on a strict diet.


The best part of blogging is hearing from my readers, so share your thoughts and ideas... or just say "hi"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...