Sunday, December 7, 2014

The last couple of weeks

have been crazy, exhausting, and overwhelming... mostly in a good way.

In the past two weeks we moved, during a snowstorm, cleaned out our old house and finally closed on it. 

Fynn unpacking in
her new play room
We closed on the new house November 4th, but decided to wait to move until Thanksgiving week because that was the next time Drew and I had some time off and we wanted to move in at a slower pace. In the three weeks in between closing and Thanksgiving we did a lot of work to pack up stuff at the old house and move it to the new. By the day before Thanksgiving, we had moved pretty much everything except day to day essentials and the larger furniture. 

Unloading into the garage
to avoid the snow

The day before Thanksgiving we rented a u-Haul and had our awesome brothers, my mom, and Drew's dad over to help us move. Of course, then the snow started. That was fun. The u-Haul ramp got slippery, the guys all trailed snow and dirt into the old house and stuff got soaked. Then the drive to the new house (which is usually less than 20 minutes) took almost an hour with icy roads and people driving like little old ladies because it was the first snow storm of the year... seriously people, we live in Maine. Snow is expected. for some reason it's always this huge shock during the first storm and people either drive painfully slow or like complete fools and end up in a ditch. 

Anyway. We got in that day and got all the big furniture set up where we wanted it. There was still plenty of stuff left in the old house that needed to be cleared out, but the majority of our stuff was here, so it was a big relief. Because of the snow, Drew had to leave around 2:30 the next morning to plow, so we didn't exactly unpack much. Really, we didn't unpack anything. On Thanksgiving day we drove back to the old house to shower (because we hadn't had a chance to clean the new showers here yet). 

As I'm writing this post, we've lived in the new house for a week and a half... and it's been an interesting week and a half for several reasons:
  1.  Lots of work left to do at the old house: meaning Drew has been gone a lot and Fynn and I have been left to our own devices. Not a huge deal, but exhausting nevertheless... not to mention missing him!
  2. No refrigerator. We discovered a week before we moved in that the one here had died. We bought a fridge a few days after we moved in, but it was going to be two full weeks before it could be delivered. Monday is delivery day, and I could not be happier. We've been using our mini fridge from college which holds a gallon of milk and a few little things; not enough to keep a picky toddler happy and definitely a nuisance because it meant daily or at most every other day grocery store trips.
  3. No working oven. The stove top works, but the oven isn't quite right and Drew has to fix it (he claims he can, we just haven't had time). That means no fridge AND no oven... making dinner just got exponentially more difficult 
  4. No dryer- we took our washer and dryer from the old house, and were able to set up the washer right away. However, the dryer vents were FILLED with lint/hair, so we needed to clean them before setting them up. In the meantime, I did a couple of loads of laundry in the washer and just hung things up to dry all over the upstairs. The hook up was done yesterday. I've never been so happy to be able to do laundry before! 
  5. No cable or internet for the first week- The cable was no big deal, we watched some movies and were fine. Internet was another story because my grad school class is all online and I had a bunch of homework due. This meant some trips to my parents house to mooch some wifi and get my work done! 
  6. Unpacking... while almost 7 months pregnant. Means I can't lift most of the boxes and I'm exhausted after just a short time working. Progress has been slow... painfully slow. Thank all that is holy for my family. My mom, dad, and sister all came over for the day yesterday and helped us out a ton. My mom and my sister also came the day after Thanksgiving to help with a ton of unpacking and cleaning. While the house is no where near ready, it's ten times more than we would have been able to do on our own.
  7. Yesterday, we discovered that the dishwasher is broken as well. We thought it was just dirty, but when we tried to run the cleaning cycle on it today, it leaked water everywhere. Drew's hopeful that it's just a broken waterline, which would be great because we can't afford a dishwasher right now on top of everything else! 
So yeah, that's a long list of things to be dealing with these first couple of weeks. Thankfully things are settling down and falling into place. We still have a lot to work on, but the new house is starting to feel more and more like home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The best part of blogging is hearing from my readers, so share your thoughts and ideas... or just say "hi"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...