Thursday, March 5, 2015

Bentley's Birth Story- Part 2

If you missed the beginning; read how labor started with Part 1 of Bentley's birth story. Otherwise, continue on.

Okay, so Drew's parents arrived, and we headed out to the hospital. Oh, did I mention that we now live 45ish minutes away from the hospital, and that by the time we left my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart? No... probably not important anyhow.

The entire ride to the hospital I was working on my deep breathing and trying not to concentrate on the pain. As much as I had planned my labor out to the nth degree with Fynn, I actually hadn't thought much about labor this time around... stupid, stupid. I knew I wanted to go for an all natural labor again this time, but I hadn't thought about labor breathing or any other labor techniques, except for food- I had Sour Patch Kids and chocolate-covered almonds in my bag- the important stuff.

The closer we got to the hospital, the closer the contractions became. I stopped timing them about 5 minutes into the ride because they were almost on top of each other and it was kind of freaking me out. Luckily, it was 3 AM, so there wasn't much traffic beyond the plow trucks and dump trucks that were trying to remove some of the snow... we may or may not have gone through a couple of red lights.

Oh, did I mention the other stupid thing we'd done? We hadn't practiced the drive to the hospital from the new house... so when we got into the city, we couldn't remember which way to go. Now, this is nothing new to me- in labor or not I would have had no idea where we were, so this was all on Drew. We didn't drive around much, but I was a little panicked for a moment when I thought we were going to be lost and I was about to die.

The contractions this time around were SO much stronger than  last time; I was a mess and on the way told Drew that I was maybe, kinda, sorta, need something to take the edge off the pain if this was going to go on for another couple of hours.

By the time we reached the hospital, the contractions were back to back and I could barely breathe. However, I still told Drew to go ahead and park in the parking garage- I could totally walk from there. Good thing Drew knows I'm an idiot and didn't listen to me. He pulled the car up to the front entrance and just left it there as he helped me inside. Right as we got through the doors, I had another huge contraction and had to lean on Drew just to keep from falling over. I must have scared the security guard on duty because he sprinted over to the doors with a wheelchair which I happily collapsed into.

All I had to do for the next couple of minutes was breathe and ride in the wheelchair. Easier said than done, but I managed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The best part of blogging is hearing from my readers, so share your thoughts and ideas... or just say "hi"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...