Friday, March 6, 2015

Bentley's BIrth Story- Part 3

Since I'm nothing if not verbose, you can read Parts 1 and 2 to get caught up on the birth story so far.

We took the elevator up to the labor and delivery floor where a hilarious nurse asked me to sign papers, realized that was so not happening, and allowed Drew to sign me in. Drew then wheeled me into triage so they could check my progress. After all the water in the car, I desperately had to pee, so I asked the nurse if I could go before they checked me. She laughed and said "just don't push". Whatever. I went into the bathroom... and then realized I had to push. I yelled to the nurse (sidenote: they let me into the bathroom BY MYSELF at this point AND closed the door... what were they thinking?) who came sprinting in. I was half bent over as I heard her say "yup, there's the head".

I guess we were in business. The next couple of minutes are kind of a blur, but from what I remember they laid me on a stretcher, covered me with a blanket, and sprinted me down the hall to the delivery room while several people yelled at me not to push and to hold on. Did they not realize I was trying as hard as I could? We got to the room, and I somehow moved onto the labor bed and then begged to push.

A few agonizing moments later, and Bentley was here. All 5 lbs, 10 ounces of tiny baby. The doctor laughed and asked the nurse how long this had all taken. She said I had arrived 8 minutes earlier.

That's right people. EIGHT minutes. If Drew's parents had taken a few more minutes to get to our house. Or I had waited ten more minutes to wake up Drew (which I had debated about because I wasn't sure it was really labor) or if Drew had parked in the parking garage like I told him to- this kid would have been born in the car... or in the parking garage... scary.

The next couple of hours were spent actually admitting me to the hospital, checking on B (who was perfect, though tiny) and texting everyone we could think of with the news. Now that it's over, it's hilarious how quickly it all went down. From the first contraction at 12:40 AM to baby at 3:26 AM, it was a birth story worthy of retelling; which apparently the hospital staff did, because every nurse and doctor we saw in our two days there knew all about Bentley's grand entrance.


  1. Wow, what a crazy birth story! Sounds similar to what my mother-in-law experienced with her second baby. She barely got into a gown before it was time to push and was in labor for 40 hours with her first baby.....

    Hope you are doing well and recovering!

  2. Oh my goodness. I dream about a labor like that with this one!!!! LW was 36 hours. I hope this one is any amount shorter.....3 hours would be unbelievable. GO MAMA!!!!!


The best part of blogging is hearing from my readers, so share your thoughts and ideas... or just say "hi"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...